As a surfer, riding and paddling in the warm, clear blue ocean under the heat of the sun in tropical islands gives us this relax and cheerful feeling inside the entire day. However, the sun's heat and humid feel can cause damage to our skin. It makes it drier and more oily skin than ever.
Sun damage is the number one culprit, even if you are not in a hot climate part of the earth, you can still be affected what more if you are in a tropical part of the world. And, you will not even notice the effect on your skin until freckles, discoloration of the skin, and age spots are visible.
That is why skincare protection is essential in our daily life regardless of weather conditions.
So, a lot of us question ourselves, how do we protect ourselves from the so-called "Sun Damage."
Typically, SUNSCREENS more SUNSCREENS, obviously, but what kind of sun protection you are using.
We did some research, ask on our IG page, ask peer surfer groups and professional surfers who mostly spent their time out in the sun, and trying to find the answers.
In this blog, we will share with you some skincare clues and essentials that will help us surfers be comfortable in our skin in and out of the sun.
Skincare surf routine: BEFORE GOING INTO THE WATER:
Applying SPF 50 indicates the level of protection against harmful UVB rays. (SPF 15 = 93%, SPF 30 = 97%, SPF 50 = 98% protection) And up is a must for a day at the beach that is necessary. Sharing you some tried and tested sunscreens that are reef-friendly and essential before hitting the water Settsurf, Sunbutter, IndoCoco, and Thank me later. All pre ocean hydration for your skin. And, cover yourself with good, comfortable skin protection as well in the form of a long sleeve or a rashguard for sure it will be the perfect duo against sun damage.
*** Monik wearing the Medewi in Sunset print. More info click on the image
Suggested re-apply of SPF sunscreens is (2) times daily, and before you head out, wait for 15 minutes for the sunscreen to finally settle unto your skin. Most adults need about 1 ounce to cover the exposed body parts.
ZINC or surf creams, why not everything?
We got a chance to ask pro surfer athlete from the beautiful tropical Island of Siargao Anna Mae Alipayo to share her "holy grail" that she adores in and out of the surfing arena.
She hydrates her skin after surfing with Sun Bum cool down. It has soothing aloe and Vit. E that provides intense hydration on the surface and restores the natural moisture. It's hypoallergenic and reef-friendly.
And of course, I asked her Top 3 essentials in her surf kit. These are the products that she is currently obsessed with.
- Avene Eau Thermale Lait Lotion very high sun protection for sensitive skin. It's a water-resistant, silicone-free, and photostable.
- Honeyshield(https://www.honeyshield.co.za/Home/) simple, natural, non-toxic ingredients.
- Bio-oil and Malunggay (Moringa Oli Fera) oil "
Oh! And she loves a good eye moisturizer, there you have it beauty secret leaks!!!
Next, we have Indonesian longboarder Ficka Dirgantari sharing her skincare "holy grail" products are:
"My holy grail product is Surfskinoil or Nature E and green tea in the morning hahaha, sometimes I just wash my face, and I have grown aloe vera plants also."
- Surfskinoil it claims as "All in 1 MAGIC IN A BOTTLE' its a 100% natural oil, made by 6 powerful medicinal plants, specially formulated from six different plants. It's scientifically proven to be effective against skin traumas from reef cuts and other common problems by surfers. And, bonus skincare regimen a cup of green tea every morning, how is that.
We meet lately Shayelle Lajoie's she is a surf coach trainer who organizes female retreats, she told us about her skincare favorites.
"The brand is Against the Grain. They're from the little town where I live in Australia. I also use another Aussie brand called Pure Delight Hemp, all-natural, smells delicious like a vanilla body moisturizer and hemp oil their products."
And, not only that Shaye is also an advocate of skincare products that are reef safe as what she said" The zinc I use is reef safe and doesn't list any of the ingredients that are linking to giving cancer since we absorb what we put on our skin and I feel that this is super important." True enough!.
Sunscreen zincs that are natural and organic, reef-safe is the most commonly used nowadays, which are helpful ways to prevent our oceans from all the harmful chemicals that other commercialized sunscreens promoted.
*** Shayelle wearing the Guadalupe in Black in Sunset print. More info click on the image
"wear sunscreen. Just make sure your sunscreen isn't killing coral reefs." Source from Parley
So here it is the list of ultimate skincare products that you will definitely love to
Body creams, Zinc Lotions, name it, and use it! Cause many of us to don't mind the importance of sun protection. Sun exposure and UV rays can cause considerable damage to our skin and not be taken for granted. A lot of skincare products that we can rely on nowadays that are available on the market. Check out these fantastic products that are taking a toll on sun protection without harming the ocean.
Settsurf Zinc lotion it is readily designed for surfers, tested, not on animals, reef-friendly, and can go up to four hours water-resistant with broad-spectrum protection across UVA and UVB rays. It is made with good quality components following the high-quality regulatory standards across the USA, Australia, and Europe. James Marshall's pro tip: "during a single session, I always say to reapply frequently and generously". Settsurf Zinc lotion it is a natural sunscreen and As James Marshall of Settsurf said '' SETT’s sunscreen feels nice and silky on the skin and certainly nowhere near as heavy or bulky as some other natural pastes out there'' and, you can also try their new After Surf Cream a ''moisturizer that will do wonders after each surf''
- The Labbe formulated to be highly therapeutic, re-hydrating to overly dry skin with fast-absorbing, antioxidant-rich, and antimicrobial ingredients.
- Avasol crafts ultra-premium, high-end natural/organic/mineral skin, and suncare products using environmentally and socially conscious methods.Responsible sun care.
- Salt and Stone sunscreen claims to be 80 min. Water-resistant, reef-friendly, and broad-spectrum protection.
- Raw Elements gentle and in demands mostly by athletes, preserving reefs and ecosystems.
- Surfmud, its reef-safe, made for ocean-loving individuals. Built for extended surf sessions in tropical conditions. Mineral-based.
- EiR nyc surfmud has 6 natural ingredients: It's all-natural, water-resistant, reef safe, and it smells delicious. It is 100% reef safe and contains Non-Nano Zinc for UV sun protection, chocolate for deep hydration, increased blood flow to the skin, and antioxidants that fight free radicals.
- Last Meridian surf zinc It contains 20 - 22% of zinc for UV protection.
Since you have lots of product choices, I will share some tips on how and when is the best time to apply our sun protection.
BEST TIME TO APPLY SUNSCREEN AND ZINC.
The Australian Cancer Council also shares their recommendations in preventing sun exposure that is harmful.
- Slip-on some sun-protective clothing that covers as much skin as possible.
- Slop on broad-spectrum, water-resistant SPF30 (or higher) sunscreen. Put it on 20 minutes before you go outdoors and every two hours afterward. Sunscreen should never be used to extend the time you spend in the sun.
- Slap on a hat - broad brim or legionnaire style to protect your face, head, neck, and ears.
- Seek shade.
- Slide on some sunglasses.
We can also incorporate some simple methods in preventing sun exposure by seeking a sun-safe place, wearing swimsuits that can help in minimizing sun exposure like Ninefootstudio surf suits long sleeves and rash guards. Small things can make a big difference, you know.
*** Monik wearing the Yeganga rashguard in Sunset print. More info click on the image
Post sunburn is very natural but no need to worry because we can always find a solution, and one of the best help that we can share is our natural home remedies.
- Aloe Vera after sun exposure applied immediately can help to soothe the skin from the sun's harmful rays. From the plant? Much better. 100% aloe vera. It acts as a natural shield from sunburn.
- Tea can also help minimize the sunburn affect the tannic acid and theobromine in the black tea helps.
- Is cucumber 100% refreshing, right? Just simply put the cucumber slice on your affected skin. But, if you want the more refreshing feeling, just blend the cucumber and apply it to your skin.
- Lettuce can also help relieve sunburn. Just apply the water where you boiled (refrigerator) the lettuce used with cotton to dab on your skin. The analgesic effect will help a lot.
- Yogurt just refrigerates for a few minutes then apply to the sunburn areas of your skin. It contains probiotics that will help restore your skin's natural shield.
Well, everything I mentioned above, nothing compares to refreshing hydration now, and then our skin needs to keep hydrated, especially we love under the sun. Maybe an infused water with cucumber will do the trick. And, keep your skin hydrated all the time. It works for me every time.
Paddle out, Feel safe, Surf better.